Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Inspiration

Listening to: Switchfoot, "Beautiful Letdown"

Bill got me the Switchfoot album for Easter (I love their name, it sounds so silly and whimsical!) and I've been wearing it out. My favorite song on the album hands down is probably "More Than Fine." It's pretty much what's been driving me all these years. With apologies to Switchfoot, here are the lyrics:

When I wake in the morning
I want to blow into pieces
I want more than just okay, more than just okay

When I'm up with the sunshine
I want more than just a good time
I want more than just okay, more than just okay

I'm not givin' up, givin' up now
I'm not givin' up, not backing down

More than fine, more than bent on getting by
More than fine, more than just okay

When I'm lit with the sunshine
I want more than just the blue skies
I want more than just okay, more than just okay

More than oceans away from the dawn
More than oceans away from who we are
More than oceans, more than oceans
More than fine

It doesn't sound like much (neither does one of my other favorite songs from this album, namely, "This is Your Life," where they sing "are you who you wanna be??"). But I guess to me it typifies my desire to be more than mediocre, to have life be something special, something incredible, something....more than just okay. I'd like to try to light up the sky with fireworks somehow, with what I do, creating something that will entertain, intrigue, inspire...in short will be more than just okay.

It's like the photocopy of the earth from space that I have on my office wall, with the words above it, "How BIG is Your Vision?"